Winter Care Of NEWBORN
- Maintaining warmth in the newborn babies is essential to prevent any complications.
- Make sure you wrap the baby adequately from head to toe leaving the face open with a woollen blanket or thick towel.
- Maintain the room temperature between 26 – 28 degrees Celsius. If you are living in very cool places, place heaters in the room.
- Make sure that the baby is uniformly warm i.e., the tummy and extremities should have the same temperature. If the hands and feet are cold but the tummy is warm, it means that the baby is under cold stress,”.
- Dry skin is common in newborns in winters and if not addressed, can cause cracks and breaks in the skin which can lead to secondary infection. Apply moisturisers liberally every now and then. Coconut oil acts as a natural emollient.
- Nose block is another common problem faced during winters. Instillation of saline nasal drops and giving steam inhalation under supervision helps to relieve the block.